Jakarta is the capital city of Indonesia. This city is also one of the main activity centers of Indonesia, no wonder many student exchanges, foreign company offices, and foreign embassy offices are also located in the city of Jakarta. Especially Japan, various Japanese companies have offices, and the Japanese embassy is also located in Jakarta.
Furthermore, the number of foreign students and foreign workers coming from Indonesia can be said to be very large. In several large universities in Japan, the number of foreign students from Indonesia is even the first and second largest compared to other countries. Not a few Indonesians also study, build careers and live in Japan and even become permanent residents.
Therefore, the JLPT exam is certainly not a foreign thing for foreign students and workers from Indonesia. This test is an obligation that must be fulfilled the first time before you can go to Japan and start everything in Japan.
For you Indonesians who are currently preparing to get scholarships and job opportunities in Japan, how is your preparation for the JLPT going? Do you know where to take the JLPT exam? Especially for those of you who are currently living in Jakarta, the center of the Indonesian city and government. Do you know how to take the JLPT exam in Jakarta?
When can you take the JLPT exam in Jakarta? How much does it cost to prepare? And various other information is certainly very important to know. Therefore, in this article we have summarized all the information you need to find out how the JLPT exam in Jakarta is conducted. Alright, let’s start the discussion!
1. About JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test)
The Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) was launched in 1984. In its first year, the JLPT was administered in 15 countries with 7,000 test-takers. In 2011, the number of JLPT test takers increased significantly to 610,000 in 62 countries. This achievement makes the JLPT the largest Japanese language proficiency test in the world.
In addition, the JLPT exam focuses on evaluating and validating the Japanese proficiency of foreign speakers. There are 2 main organizations that administer the JLPT: The Japan Foundation and Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (JEES). The two work together to administer the JLPT exam in Japan and around the world. Especially overseas, the JLPT exam is administered worldwide by the Japan Foundation in cooperation with local institutions.
So far, the JLPT exam has been taken by many JLPT test takers with different needs. Such as job promotions, job applications, scholarship applications, and certification examinations for certain professions. The JLPT exam and certificate are very strong for various purposes and have indeed been recognized by various companies and agencies in Japan and around the world.
In particular, this exam also has 5 levels: N1, N2, N3, N4, and N5. Each level has specific criteria for its implementation. This criterion is what makes JLPT special because JLPT tries to be as accurate and fair as possible in evaluating the Japanese proficiency of foreign speakers.
The Advantages of Taking JLPT
JLPT tests and certificates have a variety of benefits for anyone who takes them and obtains a certificate at a certain level. Some of the reasons why this JLPT certificate is needed are follows:
- Admission to Japanese university. This JLPT test is usually required to enroll in Japanese universities usually at the JLPT N2 test level.
- For scholarships. Many scholarship providers for the purpose of Japanese universities require Japanese language skills by proving to have a JLPT certificate at the N2 or N1 level.
- Job hunting. In Japan, foreign professionals who want to apply for jobs in Japanese companies need to prepare this JLPT certificate.
- Certification of some professionals such as dentists, nurses, pharmacists, public health nurses, midwives, radiologic technologists, Dental hygienists, and others.
- Receive preferential treatment under a special program. If you have the JLPT N2 and N1 certificates, you will be included in the professional qualification of “Highly Skilled Foreign Professionals” and will receive preferential treatment from the Japanese immigration authorities.
In addition to the above, the JLPT exam is also very useful for you to earn extra income, get the opportunity to participate in various inspiring activities such as Japanese cultural exchanges, and others. Please share your experiences and thoughts about using the JLPT exam certificate in the comments section below!
2. About JLPT in Jakarta, Indonesia
JLPT exams in Indonesia are held in 12 cities: Jakarta, Bandung, Surabaya, Medan, Yogyakarta, Padang, Denpasar, Manado, Malang, Semarang, Makassar and also Palembang. Specifically in Jakarta, the jLPT exam is held 2 times: July and December. In other cities, on average, the JLPT exam is held 2 times.
Furthermore, if you want to know in which cities the JLPT exam is available in Japan and around the world, please refer to the official JLPT website below:
There you will find a list of host institutions that conduct the JLPT exam on behalf of the Japan Foundation in each of these cities, both in Indonesia and in other countries. Specifically in Jakarta, the JLPT exam is administered by the Persada Secretariat/Darma Persada University on behalf of the Japan Foundation.
Then, if you want to take the JLPT exam in Jakarta or other cities in Indonesia, please visit the link below:
All information regarding the JLPT exam and registration for the JLPT exam in Indonesia is available on this website. Please read on and choose the city where you would like to take the JLPT exam. In the next section, we have summarized information about the local institution that administers the JLPT exam in Jakarta, the Persada Secretariat/Darma Persada University.
About Persada Secretariat/Darma Persada University
The host institution in Jakarta organizing the JLPT test is Persada Secretariat/Darma Persada University. This university is a private university under the Japan-Indonesia Friendship Association, which has conducted many exchange activities in various fields, especially academics, between Japan and Indonesia.
Further, established in 1968, the current number of active students of this university is 3783 students, 15 study programs, and 250 employees including lecturers. The university also cooperates with many universities in Japan such as Ritsumeikan University, Hiroshima University, Tokai University, Toyo University, and others.
For Japanese language study programs, this university opens undergraduate as well as diploma programs. This university is very thick with bilateral relations between Japan and Indonesia, in an event this university presents the main speaker of the former Prime Minister of Japan, Mr. Yasuo Fukuda.
3. General Info about JLPT in Jakarta, Indonesia
The JLPT exam in Jakarta is available 2 times: in July and December. You can refer to the information available on the official JLPT website as well as the JLPT Jakarta exam organizers.
Then, if you want to take the JLPT exam in Jakarta, it is important to know the progress of the information or timeline for the JLPT exam process that will be carried out.
- Please visit the website or contact your local institution for information about the nearest JLPT exam.
- Be sure to read the Test Guide and all available information carefully to avoid mistakes when registering.
- Access the link used to create a special JLPT exam registration account. Prepare the email and password you will use and write them down so you don’t forget them. You will need them for several subsequent processes.
- Fill in all the required information carefully. Make sure to double-check the information you enter during the registration process.
- Make payments according to the specified method.
If you have followed all the steps correctly, you will receive an email confirming your registration and payment for your JLPT exam. You will then receive a test voucher and can immediately prepare for the JLPT exam. Your results will be announced on the official JLPT website and sent to the email address you provided during registration.
Also, please note that, above are a standard schedule that applies to other cities in Indonesia and other countries around the world. However, you should always update the latest information on the JLPT exam registration website in which city you are taking the JLPT exam, as some points may change due to certain conditions.
Test Guide and Fee
A test guide will be available on the website for registering for the JLPT exam in Jakarta. Be sure to read it carefully. Follow all the available information to register.
Then, here are the fees that you need to prepare to take the JLPT exam in Jakarta. This fee is the same for other cities in Indonesia.
|1. N1||250,000 (Indonesian Rupiah)|
|2. N2||220,000 (Indonesian Rupiah)|
|3. N3||200,000 (Indonesian Rupiah)|
|4. N4||150,000 (Indonesian Rupiah)|
|5. N5||140,000 (Indonesian Rupiah)|
Please confirm the JLPT exam fee payment method according to the information provided. If you experience problems when paying for the JLPT exam, please contact the local institution or the contact provided.
4. How to Register for the JLPT Exam in Jakarta, Indonesia?
The following are important steps you should know when registering for the JLPT exam in Jakarta. Some steps may or may not be the same. Therefore, you need to check the available websites for the latest updates. However, you can use the following steps as a reference.
- You need to access the available JLPT exam registration link. Specifically for all cities in Indonesia, including Jakarta, the link is listed on the official JLPT website for the JLPT exam that we have shared above.
- You need to create a JLPT account using your email address and password. Check and fill in the requested information or personal data carefully to complete the profile.
- Fill in the area and level you wish to take correctly. You can only register for 1 region and 1 level.
- After you have filled in all the required information, you will be asked to pay for the JLPT exam according to the predetermined method.
- You will receive a confirmation email containing the registration and payment for the JLPT exam that you have done. Regularly check the email inbox you used to register for the JLPT exam.
Your JLPT exam registration is now complete. All you need to do is wait for the test voucher and updated JLPT exam administration information to be sent to your email. Registration for the JLPT exam is online only. Be sure to check the registration period to avoid missing your chance to register for the JLPT exam.
The Important Note
To make the JLPT testing process as smooth as possible for prospective JLPT test takers, here are a few important notes you need to pay attention as well:
- Registration is only possible online. The payment must be made within 2 hours (Virtual Account)/1 hour (QRIS / e-Wallet). Otherwise, your account will be automatically deleted and you will have to register again with a different email.
- Participants will receive a code after clicking “Confirm Payment” and are advised to use Gmail in registration to facilitate receiving account activation emails.
- Exam results will be announced in the following periods: end of August (for July test), end of January (for December test) at the certain link provided by entering the exam number and passcode you used when register the JLPT.
- Score reports and certificates can be picked up from the JLPT Local Committee around October for the July exam and March-April of the following year for the December exam.
- The Organizing Committee will not respond to telephone or email inquiries regarding exam results for any reason.
In addition, the procedure for reissuing the JLPT score report or certificate of completion due to errors in name and date of birth depends on the country or region where you took the exam, please contact the JLPT Organizing Committee of each region or the Japan Foundation, Jakarta.
5. How to Prepare for the JLPT Exam in Jakarta, Indonesia?
What is your current level of preparation for the JLPT exam? In order to be able to face the JLPT exam in Jakarta and other cities, apart from understanding the technical information above, you also need to review your current preparation steps.
To help you strengthen your exam preparation to get a high and even perfect JLPT score, let’s look at the following tips from us.
First, in order to prepare for the JLPT exam properly, regularly, consistently, and correctly, you need a professional teacher or tutor who can guide you well. You can find these teachers or tutors at officially recognized Japanese language institutions. The teacher will help you evaluate your understanding or mastery, which is difficult for you to do if you study alone.
Second, vocabulary practice is also very important for you to do; the more vocabulary you know and master at a certain level of the JLPT exam, the easier it will be for you to answer the exam questions. The amount of vocabulary required at each level also varies greatly. If you are currently struggling to pass the JLPT N2, please refer to the list of Japanese vocabulary below:
Third, practice questions with a superior book, which you can also do to really get used to conquering JLPT questions. The more you practice the questions, the sharper and faster your ability to answer the actual JLPT exam questions will be. This will be your advantage and strength to get high and even perfect JLPT scores. For those of you who are currently preparing for the JLPT N2 exam, read our recommendations for the best books below:
If there are any points we missed, please share your opinion in the comments section below!
This is the last part of the discussion about the JLPT exam in Jakarta. We really hope that this information will strengthen your JLPT exam preparation. Don’t forget to keep updating information about learning Japanese, JLPT and others here.
We are very happy to be part of your journey to fight for the JLPT exam in Jakarta. Thank you for reading this article to the end. We wish you the best of luck and hope that you can get a high even perfect score for the upcoming JLPT exam!
1 “Introduction“. The Official JLPT Website. Retrieved 30 April 2023.
2 “Message from Organizers“. The Official JLPT Website. Retrieved 30 April 2023.
3 “Objectives“. The Official JLPT Website. Retrieved 30 April 2023.
4 “Organizers“. The Official JLPT Website. Retrieved 30 April 2023.
5 “N1-N5: Summary of Linguistic Competence Required for Each Level“. The Official JLPT Website. Retrieved 30 April 2023.