According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mongolia’s high youth demographics and youth unemployment suggest that the demand for overseas education will increase among Mongolians migrating to Japan. Accordingly, the need to speak Japanese will become paramount: the Japanese language proficiency is an unwritten passport.
Therefore, young people and workers from Mongolia who want to seek their fortune in Japan are surely familiar with this language proficiency test, the JLPT. The JLPT certificate has become very important for them.
In addition, with the Covid-19 pandemic, the rules for administering the JLPT exam in Mongolia have also changed. All followed the development of Covid-19 that occurred in each city in Mongolia.
Therefore, to help you understand and really know the latest information about the JLPT exam in Mongolia, we present this article. All you need to know about the JLPT Mongolia exam is in this article.
1. About JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test)
For students, recent graduates, or job seekers in top Japanese companies, the JLPT is familiar. JLPT stands for Japan Language Proficiency Test or 日本語能力試験 (Nihongo Nouryoku Shiken). This exam is designed to evaluate and validate the Japanese language proficiency of foreign speakers. The JLPT is usually given simultaneously in Japan and around the world.
Moreover, JLPT in this technical exam is divided into 5 levels based on the level of difficulty: N5, N4, N3, N2, and N1. JLPT N5 is the easiest level, then JLPT N1 is the most difficult level. The linguistic components tested in this test are language knowledge, which includes grammar, Japanese vocabulary, reading comprehension, and listening comprehension as well.
After taking this test, students receive a certificate of completion. For those who pass, this JLPT certificate can usually be used as a prerequisite for applying for scholarships, schools, or jobs in Japanese companies.
Furthermore, the JLPT is generally administered twice a year: in July and December. For the July test, registration usually opens in March-April. And for the December test, registration usually opens in August-September.
The Advantages of Taking JLPT
The usefulness of JLPT tests and certificates is very diverse. With the main fundamental purpose is to measure Japanese language skills for non-native speakers. However, some of the usage and benefits of JLPT tests and certificates specifically can be briefly described below:
- Earn points for preferential treatment in immigration to Japan.
- One of the requirements for taking Japan’s national medical examination.
- JLPT N1 certificate is required for taking Japan’s prefectural nursing assistant exams.
- JLPT N1 or N2 certificates are necessary for exemption from an accreditation examination for the completion of junior high school level education in Japan.
- One of the requirements for nurse/nurse practitioner candidates under the EPA. Some countries in Southeast Asia, such as Indonesia, the Philippines, and Vietnam, under the Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) program require a JLPT certificate level of N3 or higher to receive benefits under this two-country cooperation program.
In addition to the five points above, taking the JLPT exam and having a JLPT certificate at least at the N2 level will make it easier for you to find part-time jobs, opportunities to become a translator, tour guide, and other conveniences in performing administrative tasks while living in Japan.
You will also be able to read and follow the latest news in Japan, enjoy its culture firsthand, and read a variety of great Japanese original literature that will certainly enrich your knowledge.
2. About JLPT in Mongolia
JLPT exams in Mongolia are only held in 2 cities: Ulaanbaatar and Arvaikheer. Only in Ulaanbaatar the JLPT exam was held 2 times: July and December. Meanwhile, in Arvaikheer, the JLPT exam is only available in December.
Furthermore, the local institutions that organize the JLPT exam in these 2 cities are the same. The local institution that organizes the JLPT exam on behalf of The Japan Foundation in Mongolia is Mongolian Yapon Khelnii Bagsh nariin Kholboo.
For those of you who will be taking the JLPT exam in Mongolia, please refer to the information listed on the local institution’s website. All information is centralized here.
Brief Overview of Mongolian Yapon Khelnii Bagsh nariin Kholboo
The Association is a non-profit organization that voluntarily and professionally conducts various activities, implements policies, and teaches and researches the Japanese language in Mongolia.
To date, this association has united more than 20 universities, 30 primary and secondary schools, about 80 training centers, and more than 200 teacher training courses.
In addition, the activities of this association focus on conducting activities for the development of quality Japanese language teaching and research, improving learning and teaching methods, creating textbooks, improving teachers’ knowledge, and other information exchange activities.
Since 1995, the association has even actively cooperated with the Japanese Embassy in Mongolia to increase the interest of children and young people in learning and understanding Japanese culture and language.
3. General Info about JLPT in Mongolia
To take the JLPT exam in Mongolia, you need to know the flow of this exam procedure to avoid mistakes and even failure in registration or other problems. This procedure is a general step or point that you should know if you want to take the JLPT exam in Mongolia.
- You should always check the progress of the JLPT exam in Mongolia on the website of the local Mongolian institution above. The first exam will be held on Sunday, July 2, 2023 and the second exam will be held on December 3, 2023.
- Registration for the JLPT exam will open in mid-March for the July JLPT exam and in August for the December JLPT exam.
- Read the Test Guide or available information before registering for the exam to avoid mistakes when filling in the required information.
- Carefully fill in all personal data and information requested. Do multiple checks when you finish filling in data such as name, email, address, level and other information so that your registration process goes smoothly.
- Make payment for the JLPT exam according to the specified method before the deadline. Follow each instruction correctly when paying for the JLPT exam.
Also, please note that for 2023, the JLPT exam will only be held in Ulaanbaatar city 2 times a year: July and December. In the city of Arvaikheer, the JLPT exam is only available in December. Immediately prepare well for your JLPT exam.
If you have any problems or questions regarding the JLPT exam in Mongolia, please contact the relevant local institution for assistance.
Test Guide and Fee
The test guide is usually available when the application is open. Jika kamu ingin membaka test guide ujjan JLPT sebelum, silahkan dangantu pitak instituti local untuk mintanya. Isilah semua information yang diktat based on the available test guide.
Then here is the list of fees that you need to prepare for the JLPT exam in Mongolia:
|1. N1||70,000 ₮ (Mongolian Tugrug)|
|2. N2||70,000 ₮ (Mongolian Tugrug)|
|3. N3||65,000 ₮ (Mongolian Tugrug)|
|4. N4||55,000 ₮ (Mongolian Tugrug)|
|5. N5||55,000 ₮ (Mongolian Tugrug)|
In addition, when making a payment, follow the payment method provided. Shortly after completing the payment, you will receive an email or confirmation message that your registration and payment have been recorded. Also, if you don’t receive a notification, please contact the local institution to follow up.
4. How to Register for the JLPT Exam in Mongolia?
The following are the steps you should know when registering for the JLPT exam in Mongolia. However, please also note that you need to check the latest registration procedures on the local institution’s website. The following are some steps that can be an illustration for you when registering.
- The exam registration form is only can be completed online. Please note that only Latin fonts are used in the text boxes. You must complete the examiner application form accurately.
- If you have not yet created an account, click on the “Register” section and enter an 8-digit number with your name, email address, and password. After registering, enter the newly registered email address and 8-digit password in the Login section and fill in the information accurately.
- For the registration, you also need to attach a photo taken within 6 months. Please prepare it in advance.
- Once you have completed the tester registration form and uploaded your photo, you will be taken to the payment section. Payment can be made using a QR code or QPAY.
- After paying and proceeding to the next step in the copy section, your registration will be verified and a registration number will be issued.
Please note that the organizer is not responsible if the registration is not completed due to incomplete registration. So, please be careful and do all the steps correctly to succeed in your application. Also, the 5% of the registration fee will not be refunded if the exam is canceled after registration has been completed due to force conditions such as the spread of coronavirus.
The Important Note
There are several things that need to be considered by prospective JLPT test takers. But, what often becomes an obstacle and often occurs is the problem of technical test form applications and payment problems such as the followings:
- Once the exam registration is confirmed, the exam level cannot be changed or modified. So, please multiple-check your level again before taking the exam. The organizer is not responsible for any selection errors.
- Considering the situation of coronavirus infection, participants must follow all health protocols and keep their distance in a crowd. For those who appear to have symptoms, please do not come to the venue by confirming with the local host institution in advance.
- Please note that if the exam proceeds normally, once the registration has been made, the individual cannot cancel the exam and the payment will not be refunded under any circumstances.
5. How to Prepare for the JLPT Exam in Mongolia?
How was your preparation for the JLPT exam in Mongolia in July and December this year? In this section, we would like to share important tips to strengthen your JLPT exam preparation.
Especially for those of you who plan to take the JLPT exam in Mongolia, you may need this to make your exam preparation more effective. We recommend that you take the JLPT exam preparation program at an official school or institution that has a professional teacher or tutor.
Professional teachers or tutors will help you prepare for the JLPT exam effectively, correctly, and regularly. In addition, you can also get an evaluation to find out how far your preparation has gone, and in particular, how well you have mastered the JLPT material.
In addition, if you are currently looking for books to help you prepare for the JLPT N4 exam, please see our recommended study materials below.
Also, kanji practice is very important for the JLPT exam. The more kanji you master, the higher your chances of getting a high JLPT score. The difficulty of kanji also varies greatly from level to level. If you are currently studying for the JLPT N4, please read our N4 level kanji list below for reference!
This is difficult to get if you are studying on your own. For this, you should immediately find the right institution or institution that has teachers who are professional and of course experienced in helping JLPT test takers.
This is the last part of the article about the JLPT exam in Mongolia. We’ve covered all the important things you should know about the JLPT exam in Mongolia. We really hope that this information will be useful and strengthen your preparation for the JLPT exam.
Don’t forget to keep updating the information related to learning Japanese, JLPT and others here. We are very proud to be a part of your journey to learn Japanese and pass the JLPT exam. Thank you for reading to the end. See you in the next article! Good luck and may you get a perfect JLPT score!
1 “Objectives“. The Official JLPT Website. Retrieved 28 April 2023.
2 “N1-N5: Summary of Linguistic Competence Required for Each Level“. The Official JLPT Website. Retrieved 28 April 2023.
3 “Taking the Test Overseas“. The Official JLPT Website. Retrieved 28 April 2023.