The Japanese Language Proficiency Test is a legal recognition, official certification, and even qualification recognition of the Japanese language proficiency of a person who is not a native speaker of the Japanese language.
To master the JLPT, you must understand what and how the JLPT is performed? Please click the button below to learn more about the JLPT.
Next, in this article, we will discuss the 10 Most Powerful and Popular Textbooks to Pass the JLPT N3 exam. Before that, please click the button below to know the textbooks that can be used to pass JLPT N5 and N4 exams as well.
Then, please jump into the following articles to get also about “JLPT Guides, Kanji Lists & Vocabulary Lists“
- JLPT Levels: A Comprehensive Guidance For You
- Get Ready for JLPT N4: 100 Kanji List
- Ready for N5? JLPT Guides & List of 100 Kanji
- 700+ JLPT N5 Vocabulary | The Most Complete Lists
We hope you’ll continue to follow other articles to expand your horizons and understanding about the JLPT. After reading this article, I’m looking forward for your suggestions and impressions in the comment column below. Don’t forget to leave it! Okay, let’s get started!
About JLPT N3
The JLPT N3 is the intermediate level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). Passing the JLPT N3 exam proves proficiency in Japanese at the intermediate level, which is sufficient proof of proficiency in Japanese for educational and professional purposes.
Companies and universities generally set the JLPT N3 exam as the lowest administrative requirement. Specifically, similar to the JLPT N5 and N4, the JLPT N3 tests the learners’ understanding in 5 different areas:
- Grammar (文法 / bunpou)
- Vocabulary (語彙 / goi)
- Kanji (漢字 / kanji)
- Reading Comprehension (読解力 / dokkai ryoku)
- Listening Comprehension (聴解力 / Chōkai ryoku)
The JLPT N3 exam consists of 3 sections as follows:
- Language knowledge (Vocabulary) in 30 minutes
- Language Knowledge (Grammar) & Reading in 70 minutes
- Listening in 40 minutes
(1) Language knowledge (Vocabulary) – 30 minutes
What are the components of each section of the JLPT N3 exam? Each section of the exam has a specific component that is tested with its specified goal of measuring each individual’s ability. For language knowledge or skills, please read the 5 items below:
|1. Kanji reading||Test reading of the words written in kanji.|
|2. Orthography||Test kanji for words written in Hiragana.|
|Test words whose meaning is defined by context.|
|4. Paraphrases||Test words and phrases with similar meanings.|
|5. Usage||Test the use of words in sentences.|
(2) Language Knowledge (Grammar) & Reading – 70 minutes
On the other hand, for the language knowledge or Grammar and reading, please read the 7 important items as follows:
|1. Sentential grammar 1|
grammar form selection)
|Examine judgment of sentence-appropriate grammatical formats.|
|2. Sentential grammar 2|
(grammar form selection)
|Examine syntactically correct and meaningful sentence composition.|
|3. Text grammar||Examine judgment of suitability of sentences for text flow.|
|Test content comprehension by reading original texts of approximately 150-200 characters, such as descriptions and instructions on various topics, including everyday life and work.|
|Test comprehension of keywords and causal relationships by reading the texts of approximately 350 characters, such as original commentaries and essays.|
|Testing comprehension of summaries and logical developments by reading the texts of approximately 550 characters, e.g., commentaries, essays, and letters.|
|7. Information retrieval||Testing the ability to extract necessary information from original materials such as advertisements and brochures (approx. 600 characters).|
(3) Listening – 40 minutes
Further, for the listening comprehension, please read the following items:
|1. Task-based comprehension||Testing content comprehension by listening to a connected text (testing the ability to extract the necessary information to solve specific problems and understand appropriate actions).|
|2. Comprehension of key passages||Testing content comprehension by listening to a connected text (testing the ability to narrow down points based on necessary information presented in advance).|
|3. Comprehension of|
the general outline
|Test comprehension of content by listening to a connected text (test understanding of speaker’s intent and ideas from the overall text).|
|4. Verbal expressions||Test ability to select appropriate verbal expressions by listening to circumstances while looking at illustrations.|
|5. Quick response||Test ability to select appropriate responses by listening to short utterances such as questions.|
Grammar Drill Textbooks for JLPT N3
The goal to achieve on the JLPT N3 grammar exam is to understand at least 150 ~ 180 points of Japanese grammar. This grammar covers topics related to daily life as well as topics found in the world of work.
Specifically, some examples of grammar points at the N3 level are as follows:
- Basic use of particles and their application.
- Basic grammatical structure and word form
- Appropriate verb patterns
- Expressions showing an alternative, an approximation, remembering a piece of information, and other specific expressions
Please read the following 3 books to help you prepare for the JLPT N3 grammar.
1. Speed Master JLPT N3 Grammar
In order for you to pass the JLPT N3, you need to focus on preparation. One of the most important points to master is the N3 grammar. And a book called Speed Master – Quick Mastery of N3 Grammar should be on your list.
This book consists of 3 parts, which are as follows:
- Warm-up: a preliminary explanation of the grammar used in JLPT N3. How to understand texts and sentences when given relevant information.
- Exercise: the exercises contain text similar to the original text of the JLPT N3 exam.
- Practice Test: in this section, you can learn firsthand how the JLPT N3 exam works. There are 3 practice tests. You can use them to measure how well prepared you are for the JLPT N3.
2. Mimi Kara Oboeru: Mastering “Grammar”
Are you an auditory learner? A person who can learn very easily by listening? Then this book is perfect for you to prepare for your JLPT N3 exam! This book is titled “Mimi Kara Oboeru: Mastering Grammar through Auditory Learning – New JLPT N3!”. As the title suggests, this book has the following 3 main strengths:
- You can learn JLPT N3 by hearing a vocabulary
- You can get the sample sentences dictated to you
- Then, you just need to repeat (or repeat after) the sample sentences
This allows you to master the grammar points naturally. This book also includes a lot of practice questions. So it is very possible that you will master JLPT N3 in a short time.
3. Dictionary of Japanese Grammar Series
One of the mandatory dictionaries for all learners of Japanese, especially for those who want to pass the JLPT exam at all levels, must have Japanese dictionary.
This dictionary, titled Dictionary of Japanese Grammar, is a must-have one. As a companion for your JLPT N3 exam preparation, you need a dictionary for intermediate and advanced levels.
The second edition of the Intermediate Dictionary has been widely reviewed and is considered the most comprehensive source of Japanese grammar to date. The dictionary also contains very detailed explanations and covers approx. 200 Japanese grammatical concepts.
You no longer have to worry when finding difficult words. Just use this dictionary as a companion for your JLPT N3 exam preparation!
Kanji & Vocabulary Drill Textbooks for JLPT N3
To pass the JLPT N3, you need to know about 3,750 Japanese vocabulary words and 650 kanji.
The 3,750 vocabularies on the JLPT N3 include nouns, verbs, adjectives, and foreign language absorptions words in Katakana. In addition, the 650 kanji tested cover a wider range of topics and levels than in the JLPT N4 level. Most of these kanji are very common in daily life, both in the workplace and in schools or universities in Japan.
Therefore, the JLPT N3 standard is very often used as the lowest limit for admission to universities and businesses in Japan.
Please click also the button below to read our articles on vocabulary and kanji for JLPT N4 and N5.
4. Kanji Master JLPT N3
The book titled Kanji Master JLPT N3 is one of the most popular books. This book has a complete and very comprehensive series.
Kanji Master JLPT N3 has:
- 18 units with very diverse topic that often comes out on the JLPT N3 exam.
- English, Chinese, and Vietnamese translation
- Sufficient question drills to pass JLPT N3
- Review tests
5. 2000 Essential Vocabulary for the JLPT N3
This book is one of the most popular books, especially for JLPT N3 vocabulary preparation. A total of 2000 common vocabulary words that are frequently used in the JLPT and also in everyday life are explained in a very interesting way.
With specific topics, example sentences, as well as translations into English and Vietnamese, any user of this book, can easily learn while imagining the actual situation in which the vocabulary is used.
In addition, 2000 Essential Vocabulary for JLPT N3 includes the following contents:
- Vocabulary words, English and Vietnamese translation
- Example sentences that are very applicable
- The check box to mark the part you have understood 12 chapters on very comprehensive topics found in JLPT N3
- The red sheet to answer the missing words in the example sentences is included as an exercise
Practice JLPT N3 Exam with Complete Set Textbooks
To pass the JLPT N3 exam, practice is very important. The more questions you solve, the more you try, and the more you get used to the test.
Below, we would like to recommend you a book that contains a complete set for JLPT N3 preparation. Usually, 1 set covers each competency tested in the JLPT in great detail and comprehensively.
Each book in a set covers vocabulary, grammar, kanji, reading, and listening comprehension – very comprehensive!
Please choose one of the complete sets of your JLPT N4 preparation book below!
6. New Kanzen Master JLPT N3
The New Kanzen Master JLPT N3 book is a very popular book among JLPT N3 fighters as well as other JLPT levels. In 1 set, you will get 5 books as follows:
- New Kanzen Master JLPT N3 – Kanji: Includes over 420 Kanji covered in 25 chapters.
New Kanzen Master JLPT N3 – Listening: Trains quick listening and speaking skills and how to process information received through multiple questions.
- New Kanzen Master JLPT N3 – Grammar: Covers a wide range of skill practice of all JLPT N3 grammar points and how to use them correctly.
- Kanzen Master JLPT Level 3 – Vocabulary: Covers all the vocabulary that often comes out in the JLPT N3 exam.
- Kanzen Master JLPT N3 – Reading: Covers many JLPT N3 reading proficiency practice questions in a very wide range of areas with high potential to come out in the JLPT N3 exam.
7. JLPT N3 Points and Practice
This JLPT N3 Points & Practice series is very interesting to me. This series is unique because it contains questions and hints that will help you pass the JLPT N3 exam.
In 1 complete set of the JLPT N3 Points and Practice series, you will get 3 books at 1 set, as follows:
- JLPT N3 Points & Practice Series – Grammar: Covers all the materials sufficient for the JLPT N3 exam material covered in 12 units.
- JLPT N3 Points & Practice Series – Vocabulary: Covers all the most frequently occurring vocabulary in the JLPT N3 exam spread over 30 units.
- JLPT N3 Points & Practice Series – Listening Proficiency: Discusses all the question types and patterns that appear in the JLPT N3 listening exam covered in 12 chapters.
Furthermore, all answers and explanations are listed very completely in 3 languages (English, Chinese and Vietnamese) with very attractive illustrations. Very suitable to be used as a book for self-study!
8. Nihongo So-Matome JLPT N3
The Nihongo So-Matome book is one of the books that also always occupies the top position of the most sought-after books by JLPT fighters.
Nihongo So-Matome has all the complete series of JLPT preparation materials for all levels. Just like other levels, for JLPT N3 level, there are 5 books in 1 complete set.
The books that you can get in 1 complete set of Nihongo So-Matome JLPT N3 are as follows:
- Nihongo So-Matome JLPT N3 – Grammar: Covers all the grammar exercises of the JLPT N3 exam. The materials are grouped by specific themes. By consistently mastering 2 pages per day, you can complete the JLPT N3 exam preparation for grammar in just 6 weeks.
- Nihongo So-Matome JLPT N3 – Kanji: Consists of 6 chapters with 7 sub-lessons each per unit. The book covers a total of 336 kanji and 850 vocabulary words, which is enough to pass JLPT N3.
- Nihongo So-matome JLPT N3 – Reading Comprehension: It has 6 chapters with 7 lessons each. The material covers all themes about daily life and questions with topics that have great potential appears in the JLPT N3 exam.
- Nihongo So-matome JLPT N3 – Vocabulary: It has 6 chapters with 7 units each. Covers a total of 1,200 vocabulary words that frequently appear in the JLPT N3 exam. Plus cute illustrations to help you quickly understand the context.
- Nihongo So-matome JLPT N3 – Listening Comprehension: Covers very complete material and has a high potential to appear in the JLPT N3 exam. The questions are designed to sharpen Japanese listening comprehension with sentence patterns that often appear in JLPT N3.
9. Try! Japanese Language Proficiency Test N3
The Try Japanese Language Proficiency Test N3 book is perfect for those of you who have a limited budget and want to learn all aspects tested in the JLPT N3 exam with just 1 book.
This book has also received many good reviews from various JLPT N3 takers. The book contains 11 chapters that cover a wide range of topics in everyday life and potentially appear in JLPT N3 exam questions.
With just 1 book you can learn grammar, kanji, vocabulary, reading skills and even listening skills with the Audio CD provided.
10. Drill and Drill JLPT N3
The JLPT N3 Drill and Drill book is perfect for you if you want to focus on conquering questions that are super similar to the real JLPT N3 exam.
In fact, the team compiling this book has done special research to assess and prepare the material as well and as similar as possible to the original JLPT N3.
In 1 set of JLPT N3 Drill and Drill book, you will get 3 books as follows:
- Drill and Drill JLPT N3 – Grammar: Discusses all grammar-related questions that are very similar to the original JLPT N3 exam.
- Drill and Drill JLPT N3 – Vocabulary: Covers all the vocabulary material that came out in the original JLPT N3 exam.
- Drill and Drill JLPT N3 – Listening and Reading: Covers all the important questions and materials in the listening and reading proficiency test for long texts and conversations.
All answers are accompanied by comprehensive explanations and extremely helpful answer for all learners in English.
Finally, We’d like to ask you to review the 10 Most Powerful Textbooks to Ace JLPT N3 in 2022 described above. We also appreciate any comments and suggestions for our improvement. We wish you success in passing JLPT N3!
Insights other than the technical aspects of JLPT will also help you develop a deeper understanding of Japanese learning. Please visit the link below to get everything you need to learn Japanese on your own!