- About JLPT N2
- Practice JLPT N2 Exam with Complete Set Textbooks
- Extra Textbooks for Grammar Drill
- Extra Textbooks for Kanji and Vocabulary Drill
JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test or 日本語能力試験) is an official Japanese language test used to evaluate the Japanese language proficiency of non-native speakers.
The test consists of various assessment components, such as the ability to understand vocabulary and kanji, read and process information, and listening comprehension.
To master the JLPT, you must understand what and how the JLPT is performed? Please click the button below to learn more about the JLPT.
Then, when it comes to JLPT N2 exam, choosing the right book is very important. To help you find the best books, we have summarized the 10 most famous and powerful books to pass JLPT N2 as follows.
Also, if you need reference to find the best books for JLPT exam preparation in other levels, please click the button below!
Then, please jump into the following articles to get also about “JLPT Guides, Kanji Lists & Vocabulary Lists“
- JLPT Levels: A Comprehensive Guidance For You
- Get Ready for JLPT N4: 100 Kanji List
- Ready for N5? JLPT Guides & List of 100 Kanji
- 700+ JLPT N5 Vocabulary | The Most Complete Lists
We hope you’ll continue to follow other articles to expand your horizons and understanding about the JLPT. After reading this article, I’m looking forward for your suggestions and impressions in the comment column below. Don’t forget to leave it! Okay, let’s get started!
About JLPT N2
JLPT N2 is the second most difficult level below the most difficult level, JLPT N1. The N2 level tests your understanding of the Japanese language, which people use in the real-daily life in a wider range of formal and informal situations.
Further, the JLPT N2 tests the learners’ understanding in 5 different areas:
- Grammar (文法 / bunpou)
- Vocabulary (語彙 / goi)
- Kanji (漢字 / kanji)
- Reading Comprehension (読解力 / dokkai ryoku)
- Listening Comprehension (聴解力 / Chōkai ryoku)
The JLPT N2 exam consists of 2 sections as follows:
- Language Knowledge & Reading in 105 minutes
- Listening in 50 minutes
(1) Language Knowledge & Reading – 105 minutes
Each section of the JLPT N2 exam has specific components that are tested. Most notably, vocabulary, grammar, and reading skills are the focus of this session. For more details, please check the table below:
|Language Knowledge & Reading||(Vocabulary)|
|1. Kanji reading||Test reading of the words written in kanji.|
|2. Orthography||Test kanji for words written in Hiragana.|
|3. Word formation||Test knowledge of derived and compound words.|
|4. Contextually-defined expressions||Test the words whose meaning is derived from the context.|
|5. Paraphrases||Test the words and phrases with similar meanings.|
|6. Usage||Test the use of words in sentences.|
|7. Sentential grammar 1 (selecting grammar form)||Examine judgment of sentence-appropriate grammatical formats.|
|8. Sentential grammar 2 (sentence composition)||Examine syntactically correct and meaningful sentence composition.|
|9. Text grammar||Examine judgment of suitability of sentences for text flow.|
|Test comprehension of the content by reading text of about 200 characters, such as descriptions and instructions on various topics, including everyday life and work.|
|11. Comprehension (mid-size passages)||Check the author’s understanding of causal relationships, rationales, outlines, or ideas by reading a text of about 500 characters, such as relatively simple reviews, commentaries, and essays.|
|12. Integrated comprehension||Test your understanding by comparison and integration by reading several relatively simple texts (about 600 characters in all)|
|13. Thematic comprehension|
|Test of ability to grasp the totality of intended points and ideas by reading a text of about 900 characters, e.g., reviews with relatively clear logical development.|
|14. Information retrieval||Test of ability to extract necessary information from materials such as advertisements, brochures, magazines, and business documents (approximately 700 characters).|
(2) Listening – 50 minutes
As for the listening proficiency test session, there are 5 items that are tested as follows:
|1. Task-based comprehension||Test comprehension of content by listening to a connected text (test ability to extract necessary information to solve specific problems and understand appropriate action).|
|2. Comprehension of key points||Test comprehension of content by listening to a connected text (test ability to narrow down points based on necessary information presented in advance).|
|3. Comprehension of general outline||Test understanding of content by listening to a connected text (test understanding of the speaker’s intent and ideas from the overall text).|
|4. Quick response||Test the ability to select appropriate answers by listening to short utterances such as questions.|
|5. Integrated comprehension||Test comprehension of content by comparing and integrating multiple sources of information by listening to a relatively long text|
Practice JLPT N2 Exam with Complete Set Textbooks
When preparing for the JLPT N2, it is very important to practice answering questions and be familiar with the exam questions. The more questions and Japanese-specific material you learn, the better your chances of passing the JLPT N2 with ease.
Therefore, it is important to choose a book that meets all these requirements. For this reason, in this article we will introduce you to a number of textbooks in complete set that cover everything you need to pass the JLPT N2.
Just choose one of these complete sets of books and practice consistently! They all vary, just adjust to the budget you have and the content you need.
1. New Kanzen Master JLPT N2
New Kanzen Master is one of the top-ranked Japanese language preparation complete set books. In 1 complete set you will get 5 books, as follows:
- New Kanzen Master JLPT N2 – Grammar: Discusses language structures, practice questions, how to make sentences, construct sentences according to context and mock tests exactly like the JLPT exam.
- New Kanzen Master JLPT N2 – Kanji: Covers all the kanji and vocabulary needed to pass JLPT N2 by explaining how to write and read them. There are 53 lessons specifically set to be completed in 53 days.
- New Kanzen Master JLPT N2 – Listening Comprehension: Discusses various questions and comprehensive explanations for understanding JLPT N2 level listening competency questions.
- New Kanzen Master JLPT N2 – Vocabulary: Features 999 questions on vocabulary that has a high chance of appearing in the JLPT N2 exam.
- New Kanzen Master JLPT N2 – Reading Comprehension: Reviews and explains in great detail how to understand sentence structures, topics and find specific information in texts with vocabulary and patterns similar to the actual JLPT N2 exam.
2. Nihongo So-Matome JLPT N2
The second set of textbook that we also recommend to be on your list is Nihongo So-Matome JLPT N2.
The most interesting thing about Nihongo So-Matome is that the topics are specially designed to be learned in 4 weeks and the illustrations are cute.
In 1 complete set, you will get 5 books as follows:
- Nihongo So-Matome JLPT N2 – Grammar: Discusses all the grammar items that have a high potential to appear in the JLPT N2 exam and detailed explanations of their use.
- Nihongo So-Matome JLPT N2 – Kanji: Comprehensively covers all the kanji in JLPT N2 level and is specially designed for 8 weeks of intensive study.
- Nihongo So-matome JLPT N2 – Reading Comprehension: Discuss texts on specific topics designed to be studied in 1 week. There are practice questions for each text that are very diverse and have the potential to appear in JLPt N2 exam questions.
- Nihongo So-matome JLPT N2 – Vocabulary: Covers 1,400 vocabulary words at JLPT N2 level. The vocabulary is organized by related topics. Very comprehensive with practice questions just like the real JLPT N2 exam.
- Nihongo So-matome JLPT N2 – Listening Comprehension: Discusses in great detail various questions that can be used to sharpen listening comprehension. Includes explanations of frequently used grammar points and patterns. As well as extensive practice questions.
3. JLPT Preparation Book Speed Master N2
For the third option, we recommend this book titled JLPT Preparation Book Speed Master – Quick Mastery of N2. In a complete set, you will get 4 books with 1 additional 2500 vocabulary book for intermediate level if you need it.
The books are as follows:
- JLPT Preparation Book Speed Master – Quick Mastery of N2 Grammar
- JLPT Preparation Book Speed Master – Quick Mastery of N2 Vocabulary
- JLPT Preparation Book Speed Master – Quick Mastery of N2 Reading
- JLPT Preparation Book Speed Master – Quick Mastery of N2 Listening
- Plus, JLPT Preparation Book Speed Master – Quick Mastery of N2 Vocabulary (Intermediate 2500)
Unlike other books, the concept of this book is unique because it has 3 sections, the “Warm-up”, “Practice”, and “Mock Test” which cover all the material commonly used for JLPT N2 test preparation.
- The “warm-up” section discusses material concepts to build a basic understanding of the topics covered such as grammar, vocabulary and more”.
- The “practice” section tests how you understand and apply the topics covered.
- And finally, in the “mock test” section, you will be tested with questions similar to the actual JLPT N2 exam to see if you are ready for the JLPT N2 exam.
4. Drill and Drill JLPT N2
The next book, Drill and Drill JLPT N2 complete set is very compact. Because it only consists of 3 books in 1 complete set. The strength of this book is in the very rich number of questions. It is suitable for you to practice time control and to familiarize yourself with the JLPT N2 exam.
This book provides very comprehensive answers and explanations as well, so that it really helps JLPT N2 fighters to get good scores and a deep understanding of Japanese. In 1 complete set, there are 3 types of books as follows:
- Drill and Drill JLPT N2 Grammar
- Drill and Drill JLPT N2 Vocabulary
- Drill and Drill JLPT N2 Listening and Reading
5. Nihongo Power Drill N2
The complete set of “Nihongo Power Drill N2” books is also very compact. It only consists of 2 books, but it covers very rich questions. Nihongo Power Drill N2 is a workbook that is often used by JLPT N2 fighters to increase their power to conquer JLPT N2 questions quickly and precisely.
In 1 set, you will get 2 books as follows:
- Nihongo Power Drill – N2 Grammar: Discusses 30 lessons with 580 questions with 100 questions that focus on building the strength of your mastery of N2 Japanese grammar.
- Nihongo Power Drill – N2 Vocabulary: Discusses 30 lessons with 640 questions. Where 540 questions focus on N2-like questions and 100 questions focus on strengthening your understanding of N2-level Japanese vocabulary.
6. The Preparatory Course for JLPT N2
The sixth book that we would also like to introduce is titled “The Preparatory Course for the JLPT N2”. In the complete set, you will get 3 types of books as follows:
- The Preparatory Course for the JLPT N2 – Grammar, Kanji, and Vocabulary
- The Preparatory Course for the JLPT N2 – Reading Comprehension & Grammar
- The Preparatory Course for the JLPT N2 – Listening
Using this book, you will be able to understand “sentence construction” with more focus because each question is explained in groups according to its type whether it is a noun, verb, adjective or other. Thus, you will be able to understand the meaning of the sentence correctly.
There are many conversation examples in the questions which will also improve your Japanese verbal skills.
Extra Textbooks for Grammar Drill
To pass the JLPT N2 grammar exam, you need to master at least around 200 points of Japanese grammar. This grammar covers themes related to actual daily life.
To support the full set of books above, the additional 2 books and dictionaries below can also be added to your list. Please read the detailed information as follows.
7. Tobira Grammar Power: Exercises for Mastery
If you’re a Tobira Gateway book user, then for N2 level grammar improvement, Tobira Grammar Power: Exercises for Mastery is one to consider.
Consisting of 15 chapters with 10-15 pages of exercises in each chapter, it helps you to focus on practicing your understanding of Japanese grammar for N2 and N3 levels.
The concept of material discussion is also very good consisting of 3 components namely, foundation, application and expansion. This concept gives you a strong and in-depth learning system. It is suitable for you to use if you want to learn sequentially and in detail.
8. A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns for Learners and Teachers
A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns for Learners and Teachers is perfect for those of you who want a comprehensive handbook that you can also use to understand N2 and N1 level Japanese grammar.
There are nearly 3000 grammar items arranged in order with a variety of sources and media formats.
In addition, examples of proper usage, sentence structures and patterns as well as the situations in which the grammar is practiced are also very fully explained. We highly recommend this handbook to deepen your understanding of advanced Japanese grammar.
Extra Textbooks for Kanji and Vocabulary Drill
Overall, to pass JLPT N2, you need to know approximately 1000 kanji and 6000 Japanese vocabulary words.
If you’ve already passed the previous JLPT level, this covers everything. So, you just need to add the kanji and vocabulary that you already have in this N2 level.
To master kanji and vocabulary, the key is to practice and read a lot!
Apart from the complete set of books above that we have described, please consider the following 2 books in addition if you want to really master JLPT N2.
Therefore, you will not only can pass the JLPT exam, but you can also get a perfect score.
Please click also the button below to read our articles on vocabulary and kanji for the other JLPT levels.
9. 550 Essential Kanji for the JLPT N2
The more kanji you master, the better your chances of passing the JLPT N2. Therefore, we would also like to recommend a comprehensive book that covers the 550 kanji required for JLPT N2. This book titled 550 Essential Kanji for the JLPT N2.
Not only 550 kanji, you will also get a surplus of 2250 vocabulary words related to each of the 550 kanji. Then, with English and Vietnamese translations.
These are all vocabulary words that have a high probability of appearing in the actual JLPT N2 exam. Highly recommended!
10. 2500 Essential Vocabulary for the JLPT N2
If you are a visual person and want to increase your vocabulary with easy concepts, then this 2500 Essential Vocabulary for JLPT N2 book is what you need.
Organized in a consistent, neatly structured manner following the topics covered, this book provides an easy way to master Japanese vocabulary intelligently.
Not only that, there are also example sentences and translations in English and Vietnamese. You’ll also get red sheets to test whether you can review and guess the missing words in the example sentences.
Not to forget, the illustrations are also very funny, so interesting and make learning JLPT N2 vocabulary not tense or boring.
Finally, We’d like to ask you to review the 10 Most Famous Textbooks to Pass JLPT N2 above. We also appreciate any comments and suggestions for our improvement. We wish you success in passing JLPT N2!
Insights other than the technical aspects of JLPT will also help you develop a deeper understanding of Japanese learning. Please visit the link below to get everything you need to learn Japanese on your own!
- What are The Best Books to Learn Japanese?
- What’s the Best & Free Japanese Learning App?
- What is the Best Online Japanese Class?
- What is the Best Japanese Learning Website?
- 8 Excellent Apps for Studying Japanese