Are you currently having trouble finding complete information about the JLPT exam in Perth, Australia? Is it really hard to find reliable information about the JLPT exam in Perth?
Japanese is becoming very popular these days. Ranging from fans of Japanese culture, anime, and songs to students around the world who admire Japanese technological advancements, everyone either really likes Japanese or has to learn it out of necessity.
Furthermore, the more professional a career or higher level of understanding of Japanese you want to achieve, then the JLPT will definitely be a necessity. Especially for those of you who are currently confused to find a place to study Japanese and prepare for the best JLPT exam in Perth, we are here for you.
Here, we summarize some essential information about the JLPT exam in Perth that will be very useful for you. Well, let’s start the discussion!
1. About JLPT
The largest and most internationally recognized test of Japanese proficiency for non-Japanese is the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). The JLPT consists of 5 levels and is designated by the letter N, which stands for “Nihongo”. JLPT level 1 is the most advanced or difficult level and level N5 is the most basic and easiest of all levels.
In addition, there is no speaking and writing component of the JLPT. The focus of the test is on vocabulary, kanji, reading comprehension, and listening comprehension. Usually, those who take the JLPT test are students and company professionals to support their future and career, although the JLPT test rules themselves do not limit the age for taking this JLPT test.
Furthermore, since 2019, the JLPT tests are given twice a year, in July and December. However, not all regions of the country hold them twice a year. It is advisable to keep up to date with information about local host institutions, which are officially appointed by the Japan Foundation as official organizers in each region of the country. The JLPT test is also very affordable compared to similar language tests, and very beneficial for students.
Four Key Characteristics of JLPT
The JLPT has 4 key features that you should understand. This is very important to know to clarify your understanding of the JLPT test. Also, it will help you prepare a good strategy to get a high JLPT score.
- JLPT focuses on measuring the communicative competence of foreign speakers in performing certain tasks or topics. It measures not only vocabulary and grammar skills, but also the application of these skills in everyday life.
- You can choose the most appropriate level to measure your ability from 5 levels: N1, N2, N3, N4, and N5.
- The JLPT has adopted a scaled score to produce a score that is more accurate and fair in representing the results of Japanese language proficiency on the exam.
- There is a “JLPT Can-do Self-Evaluation List” which is offered as a reference for interpreting the test results as to whether it is true that someone can apply their Japanese language skills in real life. You can use this self-evaluation list to really get an idea of how far you can go if you are successful at a certain level of Japanese.
In addition, due to the large size of the exam, answers will be scored automatically. There is no speaking or writing component to the JLPT exam.
2. About JLPT in Perth, Australia
In Australia, the JLPT is held in 6 cities: Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney. The JLPT exam is usually given 2 times a year, in July and December. For 2023, specifically in Canberra alone, the JLPT exam will be held in July.
Meanwhile, in 5 other cities, the JLPT will only be held in December. Initially, Brisbane offered a July test, but this was canceled. Canberra is also the only city to offer the JLPT in July.
The application period opens as follows:
- July test: The application opens in February.
- December test: Announcements for the JLPT are made in early July and applications open thereafter.
You need to check the Japan Foundation, Sydney website for the latest information on the JLPT exam:
Further, there you will find all the information about the JLPT exam in Australia. All information regarding the JLPT exam is centralized on this website. Updated information on each local institutional website will also refer to this website.
About Australia-Japan Society of Western Australia Inc. (AJSWA)
Originally the Australian Japan Society of Western Australia Inc. (AJSWA) was a voluntary group founded in 1974 by the late Sir Gordon Freeth KBE (former Australian Ambassador to Japan) and Mr. John O Brien. For almost 50 years, the AJSWA has played an important and active role in promoting all activities related to diplomatic relations between Japan and Australia, particularly in Western Australia.
Moreover, the organization has also received several institutional awards such as the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Order of the Rising Sun awarded to two Past Presidents, and many other closely related Australian-Japanese awards.
In addition, the AJSWA frequently organizes social events and assists Japanese areas affected by natural disasters such as the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami. The AJSWA also organizes many cultural festivals to promote Japanese and Australian culture and, of course, is appointed by the Japan Foundation as the institutional host for the JLPT test in the Perth area.
Australia Japan Society of Western Australia Inc. (AJSWA)
Telephone: 08 9201 9789
3. General Info about JLPT in Perth
In 2023, the Perth JLPT will be held in December only. Please always check the Japan Foundation, Sydney website for the latest information so that we can respond immediately to any exam changes that may occur. However, it is now confirmed that the Perth JLPT will only be offered in December.
For those of you who want to take the JLPT in July, it’s a pity that it’s only available in Canberra and the test application quota for July has been filled. The application capacity has been reached and there is no policy to increase it. There is also no waiting list option.
Furthermore, once you have registered, it is very important to confirm whether your application has been targeted or not. If your application is successful, you will receive a JLPT test voucher approximately one month before the exam.
In Perth, the JLPT is administered by the Australia Japan Society of Western Australia Inc. (AJSWA) as the institutional host. If you have any questions about the JLPT or programs related to the Japanese language and culture, please contact them directly.
Test Guide and Fees
If you decide to take the JLPT exam, you must carefully read all of the information provided in the Test Guide. Never miss it. Before completing the registration process, carefully read all of the information provided in the Test Guide. Make a note of it and compare it to other information on the website.
The Test Guide contains everything you need to know about the JLPT exam, from technical issues to important notes, to how to write an application. Please refer to the Test Guide available on the website of the Japan Foundation, Sydney, and the local JLPT exam organizer where you plan to take the exam. The following is a sample test guide for the upcoming July exam.
Below you will also find the cost of taking the JLPT exam in all Australian cities, including Perth.
|JLPT Levels||Test Fee||Booking Fee|
In particular, all prices shown include GST. There is no refundable fee for an Eventbrite order. If you have any questions regarding the JLPT exam fee in Perth, please contact the local JLPT institution in Perth (AJSWA).
4. How to Register for the JLPT Exam in Perth?
The following are the steps you can take to register for the JLPT exam in Perth.
- Please visit the Japan Foundation, Sydney website, and click on the keyword JLPT in Australia.
- Read the Test Guide carefully for all the information related to the test dates, procedures, test components, test duration, scoring, how to fill in the application form, answer sheets, etc.
- All applications are made online. There will be no application letter sent by mail.
- Click on the test site where you want to take the JLPT exam. Use a PC or laptop to complete the application. Use on a phone or tablet is not recommended.
- Follow each instruction carefully. Complete each item carefully and accurately.
Next, if your application is successful, you will receive a test voucher approximately one month before the JLPT exam. If you have any problems with your application, please contact AJSWA as the JLPT exam organizer in Perth. Always monitor your email for the latest updates regarding the registration process and the JLPT exam.
The Important Note
As a side note, it’s a good idea to keep in mind some of the important things below:
- Test fees paid will not be refunded for any reason.
- There is no change of test site or JLPT level after the application form has been submitted.
- Please check the data you have filled in during the application to ensure that your personal information and other supporting information have been entered correctly and in accordance with the technical guidelines.
- Your test voucher will be mailed about 1 month before the exam date. If your test voucher has not been mailed, you can contact your chosen host institution as soon as possible.
- Cancellation of the test on the day of the test may occur due to unavoidable reasons such as a serious increase in Covid 19 and natural disasters that force the test to be canceled.
In addition, if you have special needs, you can still take the JLPT in Perth. However, you must apply for Special Testing Accommodations (STA) from the Japan Foundation, Sydney. Fill out the special form and submit it well before the deadline.
5. How to Prepare for the JLPT Exam in Perth?
In addition to understanding various technical matters related to conducting the JLPT exam in Perth, you also need to strengthen your JLPT exam preparation. Of course, so that you can get good grades.
Therefore, we have special recommendations for those of you who are currently confused about how to properly prepare for the JLPT exam. One effective way is to attend an intensive JLPT preparation course in your city.
Furthermore, especially for those of you who are currently looking to learn Japanese or strengthen your JLPT exam preparation in Perth, please read the following article! You will find the best place to learn Japanese and prepare for the JLPT exam in Perth.
One Additional Tip You Need to Boost your JLPT Score!
As additional tips, especially for those of you who are currently researching how to improve your JLPT score, we have an important piece of advice for you.
If you want to improve your JLPT score, the most important key is to get used to and master all the vocabulary at the JLPT level you want to take. You can memorize, review, or pronounce the vocabulary used on the JLPT.
To enrich your JLPT vocabulary, practice vocabulary consistently. If you are preparing for the JLPT N5 exam, please click the following link to learn JLPT N5 vocabulary!
Here is everything you need to know about the JLPT exam in Perth, Australia. We really hope you do well on your JLPT exam in Perth and get a high score! Aim for the perfect score!
And also, we are very proud to be a part of your journey to fight for the JLPT. Please share your JLPT exam experience below! Don’t forget to check back here for the latest information on learning Japanese language and culture and more. See you in the next article!
1 “Message from Organizers“. The Official JLPT Website. Retrieved 29 March 2023.
2 “N1-N5: Summary of Linguistic Competence Required for Each Level“. The Official JLPT Website. Retrieved 29 March 2023.
3 “Four Key Characteristics“. The Official JLPT Website. Retrieved 29 March 2023.
4 “JLPT in Australia“. The Japan Foundation, Sydney. Retrieved 29 March 2023.
5 “Host Institutions. The Japan Foundation, Sydney. Retrieved 29 March 2023.