Learning Japanese would be very difficult? No, it is not. It will be quite easy if you enroll in a Japanese language school directly in Japan itself. When you learn Japanese in Japan, you will have the opportunity to come into direct contact with the Japanese language and culture. This way, you can practice everything you learn in Japanese classes immediately and authentically with native speakers outside of school.
In this article, we will introduce you to the best Japanese language schools in Yokohama. Yokohama is one of the cities that has always been an attraction for foreigners. Take a look at the following list!
The city of Yokohama is very famous as the second-largest city in Japan by population and the most populous municipality in Japan. Yokohama is the capital and most populous city of Kanagawa Prefecture. Yokohama is also known as an economic and cultural center. This great city was one of the cities open to trade with the West.
History also records that Yokohama was home to many Japanese civilizations during the Meiji period. People say that Yokohama is growing rapidly as the leading port city in Japan. Today, this beautiful city is one of the most important ports in the country along with Kobe, Osaka, and several other cities.
Where is Yokohama?
Yokohama is a Japanese city south of Tokyo. The city was one of the first Japanese ports. Yokohama is also famous for its large Chinatown with hundreds of Chinese restaurants and stores.
Why Study Japanese in Yokohama
There are several important reasons why you should consider Yokohama?
- Yokohama is one of the safest places in Japan.
- Compared to Tokyo, Yokohama is a much easier place to live in, as house rentals and other prices are cheaper.
- For students’ benefit, including slightly easy for finding part-time jobs.
10 Great Japanese Language Schools in Yokohama
Here are the 10 Great Japanese Language Schools in Yokohama you absolutely need to know. If you have any queries, please freely leave your feedback in the comment section below!
1. Yokohama International Education Academy (YIEA)
Yokohama International Education Academy has been providing high-quality Japanese language education for more than 30 years. This Academy’s experience and expertise have led it to evolve over time. This ensures that Yokohama International Education Academy’s services always meet the expectations of students and the global community.
Yokohama International Education Academy is in the heart of the port city of Yokohama, very close to the vibrant Minato-Mirai district. It is at the center of educational and cultural institutions. Where people gather to learn. The excellent location means that you can experience both the modern and traditional aspects of Japan in proximity.
There are 4 train stations within walking distance of the school and the nearest one is only 4 minutes away. This language school with around 400 students in the Yokohama area. As mentioned before, Yokohama is a large city very close to Tokyo. It is only 30 minutes by fast train from Shinjuku. Students can study in a big city with a quieter atmosphere than in Tokyo.
Yokohama International Education Academy (YIEA) Features
- The school helps each student pass the EJU and/or the JLPT N1 for graduate school and vocal school in Japan.
- Language learning in the classroom is done by the “direct method” to achieve maximum effectiveness.
- Special recommendations to universities and vocational schools for students with good grades.
- All teachers at the academy are qualified language teachers and native Japanese speakers.
- Classes are taught based on the prepared curriculum; students use the same textbook as other classes at the same level.
- The Yokohama International Education Academy has over 50 experienced and dedicated teachers.
Therefore, do not miss the opportunity to enroll in this school, cheers!
2. Yokohama Design College (YDC)
Yokohama Design College (YDC), a specialized school for fashion design, illustration, manga, and, of course, a comprehensive Japanese course, has been around since 1948. At YDC there are 3 schools in one building: a Japanese language school, a design school, and a high school. International and Japanese students use the same facilities and equipment, and can easily make friends with Japanese locals and enjoy language and cultural exchange.
Yokohama Design College (YDC) Features
- The school has 420 students, 180 in the Japanese language department, 170 in the design department, and 70 in the high school department.
- In the Japanese language department, the school has students from about 25 countries from all over the world.
- Through easy-to-understand instruction and in-depth guidance, Yokohama Design College provides an education that meets the needs of everyone. For students preparing for college, college, or vocational school, Yokohama Design College teaches four language skills: Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening, as well as preparation for the EJU (Examination for Japanese College) and aptitude tests.
- This College also provides job search assistance and Japanese language skills training so that students can work easily.
What’s more? Students can learn Japanese for their own goals. Such as enrolling in the college in Japan, artistic activities (art college, vocational school), or just experiencing life in the country of their dreams. YDC offers many optional and free programs to help our students achieve their dream, as well as activities to understand Japanese culture/thinking, etc.
Here we summarize the advantages of YDC:
- Location in Yokohama, very close to Tokyo.
- International students from different countries
- Many cultural events
- You can continue to study illustration, manga, fashion, or Japanese translator
- While learning the language, you can take art classes 1-2 times a week
3. Aishin International Language School
Initially, this language school was founded by the Aishin International Social Exchange Association, a government-approved non-profit organization (NPO). The aim of establishing this language school is to deepen mutual understanding through international exchanges and contribute to world peace.
The location of this school is very convenient. It is close to a 3-minute walk from Sakuragicho station. With the background of “Minato Mirai 21” in the international city of Yokohama, it is very convenient to go to school. The famous Yamashita Park and Chinatown are near the school, Yokohama Stadium and the public library are also nearby, and there are plenty of facilities for education, culture, arts, and sports.
Aishin International Language School Features
This school chooses to focus on education to understand different cultures in an easy-to-understand way. Students’ interest in different cultures may be one of the main motivations for learning a language as a means of communication. With the aim of fully meeting the interests of students. In addition, the school has special counselors to provide individual counseling on various problems faced by students.
This school has five pillars of excellence that are offered in Japanese language teaching, as the following:
- Effective small-group guided by the ability
- Best environment
- Attentive student dormitory
- Life consultation with professional staff
- Reliable management base
4. Asuka Gakuin Language Institute
Founded in 1986, Asuka Gakuin is a well-established Japanese language school that has played a leading role in the Japanese education market. All instructors have Professional certification as Japanese teachers with many years of career experience. This language school building is modern and beautiful and can accommodate approximately 600 students.
Asuka Gakuin is in the heart of Yokohama. It is right next to Hinodecho Station, the second stop from Yokohama Station where many stores and restaurants are located. This provides easy access to transportation. More than that, this school is within walking distance of Japan’s largest Chinatown. The school offers a program of study divided into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels.
Asuka Gakuin Language Institute Features
The school offers advantages that can be summarized as follows
- The direct method of teaching Japanese.
- Organizations are subdivided into many classes based on the Japanese language
- Language levels to accommodate all students.
- Emphasis on not only helping students learn Japanese but also Japanese culture and history.
5. Yokohama YMCA
The school ensures that you will experience a fascinating, different, and comprehensive experience. You will learn the main aspects of Japanese language learning. Such as Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing, with the goal of learning the Japanese language. Whether you are continuing your studies at a vocational school, university, graduate school, or working in Japan, the school’s learning system is ideal for those who have a strong desire to learn Japanese in a structured way.
Yokohama YMCA Features
- The school also offers many interesting facilities, including a sports club, after-school childcare, and a language school.
- There are people of all ages: Japanese students in the Occupational Therapy Department, elderly babies, and children in the sports club. All the Global Kindergarten comes together at this YMCA.
- As for the curriculum, students are divided into classes of various levels according to the results of a placement test administered at the time of enrollment.
In addition, this school is in the Yokohama Kannai area, which has been the center of development since the opening of the Port of Yokohama. Yokohama City Hall, Kanagawa Prefectural Government, and other government offices are in this area. It is within walking distance of Yokohama Stadium, home of the professional baseball team Yokohama DeNA BayStars, and Yokohama Chinatown, the largest Chinatown in Japan.
6. The Kohwa Institute of Japanese Language
The school was established in 1987. Most of the students of this school have been accepted into higher education in Japanese universities, vocational schools, and other colleges, and some of them have been employed by Japanese companies or have established their own companies in Japan. This school is located with the nearest station only 10 minutes’ walk from Kawasaki Station, JR line, Yokohama.
The hard work everyone puts into their studies paves the way to the future and makes dreams grow to infinity. The Kohwa Japanese Language Institute is run by passionate teachers who treat students kindly and teach not only the Japanese language but also Japanese culture and society.
The Kohwa Institute of Japanese Language Features
- This school offers a complete and balanced Japanese language curriculum in the four main skills of reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
- The course lengths offered by this school are 2 years, 1.9 years, and 1.6 years.
- The school is highly praised by its students because it strives to offer classes that are fun. Yet intense, against competition from students all over the world. As well as tutoring that’s tailored for future study.
- This school is suitable for anyone who’s willing to enroll and has ambitions for the future.
7. Sagami International Academy
At Sagami International Academy, the classes are designed to help students acquire the ability to communicate and speak in Japanese, as well as the ability to communicate and speak about themselves and their thoughts. This school is relatively new, having opened in April 2017, so it is very fresh and the teachers are very passionate about doing their best for you.
Sagami International Academy Features
- The school has its own textbook “Dekiru Nihongo” which is based on the concept of the basic purpose of this school.
- This school is perfect for those who want to go on to high school (university) and take EJU.
- The school has teachers with extensive experience, including overseas teaching experience.
- Teaching methods are also defined and detailed career guidance is provided.
- The materials created are shared by all teachers, and teachers strive to teach an integrated Japanese language education.
8. Kanrin Japanese School
This school is very promising in terms of quality. It is very clear from the school’s 35-year teaching history and experience with very professional Japanese language teachers. The support staff can assist with Japanese language study programs in Japan in a variety of languages including English, Chinese, Russian, Korean, and simple Japanese.
Kanrin Japanese School Features
- You can find the school near the Aobadai station, between Tokyo and Yokohama.
- You can learn “Japanese” with students from over 30 different countries.
- This school will provide you with everything you need to know about the Japanese language and Japan itself.
- Offering features ranging from basic courses, college preparation, and job search conversation, this school also offers digital online learning classes so that you are not left behind in the online learning hegemony.
9. Berlitz Yokohama Language Center
Berlitz is one of the world’s leading providers of language training. With operations in more than 70 countries. Since introducing its world-famous teaching method in 1878, Berlitz has had a significant impact on the way languages are taught. Now more than 140 years old, Berlitz Japan entered the Japanese market in 1966 and today has more than 60 locations throughout the country.
Berlitz Yokohama Language Center Features
- Berlitz has more than 50 branch schools throughout Japan, including in Yokohama City.
- Berlitz’s unique teaching method has helped millions of people around the world speak new languages and communicate more effectively. Naturally, quickly, and effectively.
- Therefore, with a wealth of experience and a reputation for teaching languages, including Japanese, there’s no doubt.
- As well as it doesn’t rule out trying to improve your Japanese skills, his school seems to focus on students being more able to speak Japanese naturally, rather than just textbooks and theory!
10. Asia International Language Center
The school began in 1993 as an institution for people displaced by the war in China. After that, the school was established as a Japanese language school for international students as the number of international students from China increased. The school also has branches in various countries, such as China, Shan Dong Sheng, Indonesia, Russia, Vietnam, and Laos.
Asia International Language Center Features
- Life at this school is full of fun with activities. Such as study tours, sports fairs, speech contests, Christmas parties, culinary parties, welcoming new students, and much more.
- The students come from different countries in Asia as well as Europe and America.
- Not only learning in the classroom but also various learning activities outside the school, such as directly experiencing Japanese culture or international intercultural festivals.
- This school provides dormitories within walking distance of the school. Each room is equipped with air conditioning, a refrigerator, and a bed. In addition, the dormitory is located near the train station, there are many rooms and staff who stay there and provide standby services.
- As for the curriculum, the classes are divided according to each student’s ability, so that the improvement of everyone’s ability can be promoted more effectively.
- The experienced teaching team and high teaching enthusiasm are combined with learning media such as complete computers.
Additionally, the school provides extensive cultural support to help students feel comfortable in their learning. Such as continuation counseling, daily life counseling, and quality improvement opportunities in all areas of interest. A detailed and comprehensive curriculum that includes study programs for Japanese examinations and examinations for foreign students, as well as guidance for continuing studies toward the Diploma, Bachelor’s, or Masters at various universities in Japan that are part of the curriculum.
In conclusion, let’s wrap this article into the following points:
- When you learn Japanese in Japan, you will have the opportunity to come into direct contact with the Japanese language and culture.
- History also records that Yokohama was home to many Japanese civilizations during the Meiji period. Therefore, studying Japanese in this city will be a great opportunity.
- There are the 10 Most Famous Schools we have discussed above. Please leave your feedback about the info we have collected in the comment section below!.
In addition, If you have a plan to study in language schools in the Tokyo area and the other area, please click the following link.
That’s all from me. If you have any questions, etc., please do not hesitate to drop them in the comment section below! See you in the next article!