Okinawa is known as a place renowned for its pure natural beauty and healthy food. The Okinawans will inspire you to live a long life because they hold the key to it. Learning Japanese directly in Okinawa, Japan is the ideal introduction to learning the Japanese language and its uniqueness. These Japanese language schools in Okinawa offer a variety of golden opportunities for everyone.
Additionally, if you are interested in learning Japanese, our media can help you. Please go here to see some of our full articles. There you can read various tips and tricks to study in Japan. You’ll also gain some knowledge that will help you understand Japanese culture for yourself.
Okinawa Prefecture is the only prefecture in Japan that belongs to the subtropical zone. Now, Okinawa is a tourism-oriented prefecture with a wide variety of keywords. Such as longevity, world heritage, ecotourism, traditional performing arts, and festivals. Since ancient times in Japan, Okinawa has cultivated its own culture.
This beautiful place has exchanges with various countries as an island that loves peace. It has adopted diverse cultures, even until this time. By living and interacting with the Okinawans, you will be able to experience Japanese culture firsthand. This experience will surely have a great positive impact on the development of your outlook on life.
Where is Okinawa?
Geographically, Okinawa Prefecture is located at the southwestern tip of the Japanese archipelago. It is in the southern part of the Nansei Shoto (Southwest Islands). Okinawa is a 1200 km long chain of islands that winds off the east coast of the Asian continent. Simply put, Okinawa is a beautiful island between Taiwan and mainland Japan in the East China Sea.
Why study Japanese in Okinawa?
There are several points you should consider like the following:
- Okinawa is a great place to live and learn as much as you can. You will learn a lot about Japanese culture and their way of life.
- You can see what they eat and you will also learn how to live long.
- Okinawa combines Japanese culture, a large number of expatriates, and the atmosphere of a Pacific island in a unique package.
- Also, it’s pretty safe to leave your door unlocked. Just like in other parts of Japan, you can go for a walk after dark.
- Living on this island, you can take in peace and respect.
- Okinawa is not only much cheaper than Tokyo, it is actually much cheaper.
8 Great Japanese Language Schools in Okinawa
Here are the 8 Most Famous Japanese Language Schools in Okinawa you absolutely need to know more! Please leave me your feedback if you have any inquiries about these schools. I would really happy to receive your comments, thoughts as well as the message. Thank you very much!
1. ICLC Okinawa Japanese Language School
The International Center of Language & Culture Institute of Japanese Language (ICLC) was founded in 1983. This is the oldest language school in Okinawa. The school has students from more than 50 countries. ICLC accepts students from nearly 20 different countries and regions each year. This school provides instruction not only for international students but also for business and short-term students. With years of experience and knowledge, this school provides an education that meets the needs and goals of each student.
ICLC Okinawa Japanese Language School Features:
- You can study with students from Asia, Europe, America, and other parts of the world.
- ICLC is a suitable environment to improve your Japanese communication skills.
- Not only learning Japanese, but you will also have a great opportunity to build good relationships with people from all over the world.
- Various cultural experiences will accompany you while you learn Japanese at this school.
- ICLC offers courses accredited by the Agency for Cultural Affairs for teachers of Japanese.
The school is always striving to improve and maintain the quality of education. The ICLC has earned a reputation for having a high pass rate on the JLPT among its students. They provide quality training based on the knowledge and experience we’ve gained over the years to meet the goals and needs of every student – including you, who’re reading this article!
2. Okinawa Japanese Cultural Study Academy (JCS Academy)
“Okinawa Japanese Cultural Study Academy (JCS Academy)” was firstly opened in 2011 as a Japanese language school in Okinawa. This Japanese language school is in Naha City, Okinawa. It is very easy to reach, about 14 minutes walk from the Prefectural office station. The school focuses on human resource exchange such as learning practical Japanese and building networks that will be useful for future life.
What can you get by enrolling in this school:
- You will not only learn the language, but you will also get in touch with the different cultures. As well as immerse in the customs of the hometown of Okinawa.
- With the passion that this language school displays, they build friendships and teacher relationships with international students.
- This school has several lists of courses. There you may select one of the 9 courses provided. You can choose your “best” one.
Please explore the website and choose according to your particular goals. If you want to learn Japanese culture as well as the Japanese language on the island of traditional culture, this school will welcome you with open arms to help you learn Japanese.
3. Nichia Foreign Language Academy
The Nichia Foreign Language Academy school was built in 1997. This school has the main purpose to train talents with excellent Japanese language skills and help students enter their desired school or get involved in a relevant field.
Nichia Foreign Language Academy Features:
- The special features of the school include systematically learning the 4 skills of speaking, listening, reading, and writing. As well as acquiring the ability to think in Japanese, striving for beautiful, natural, and practical Japanese. Also, practicing speaking and discussion topics.
- About the courses, this school There are 3 types of college preparatory courses such as 1 year, 1.5 years and 2 years.
- The course is designed for someone seeking entrance to a Japanese professional college or college. Through the study, students can learn standard Japanese and understand Japanese history and native culture.
Don’t worry, all the teachers at this school are qualified teachers. As native speakers, they aren’t only fluent in Japanese but also have special pedagogical training. They teach students with their rich teaching experience. Bonus for you: This school has a teacher who can speak Chinese!
4. CCCC Japanese School
The Cross Cultural Communication Center Annexed Japanese School (CCCC Japanese School) was founded in 1989. With the concept of offering a curriculum with small classes and high learning efficiency. The school focus on those who wish to study in universities and graduate schools in Japan, so this school has a very academic character and is suitable for those of you who wish to continue your studies in Japan. As for location, please note that this is the only Japanese language school in central Okinawa. It takes about 20-30 minutes to travel from the school to Naha City. The nearest beach is about 5 kilometers away, so less than 10 minutes by car.
CCCC Japanese School Features:
- This school is dedicated to raising a young generation that can advocate for Asia and the world in the global age by learning the Japanese language and the history and true shape of Japan.
- The program prepares students for the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) and the EJU (Japanese College acceptance for International Students) exam.
- To regular classroom instruction, you can also take field trips to historical sites and participate in exchange meetings with Japanese and international residents.
- The school offers a complete package of short-term, long term and private courses divided into introductory, beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels.
Please note that this school uses almost all the popular Japanese phrase books. Therefore, please do not worry if you come to Okinawa for the first time, because you can still use your English of course.
5. JSL Nippon Academy
JSL Nippon Academy was founded in 1986 and has since accumulated more than 30 years of experience. Also manages, and owns campuses in Okinawa and Tokyo to develop globally successful students. The school has educated students from more than 40 countries around the world.
JSL Nippon Academy Features:
- This great school offers a wide range of courses and quality instruction.
- They provide well-trained teachers for students with great enthusiasm to achieve their goals and needs as students.
- This school is ready to offer Japanese basic knowledge and balanced skills training (reading, writing, speaking, and listening).
- The courses offered are the Japanese Culture Course, Japanese Skills Course, and Business Japanese Course.
Of course! There’s also a JLPT Preparation Course. Most interestingly, this school offers a Japanese Teacher Training Course for those of you who really know Japanese well and then want to teach Japanese in your own country or around the world. Cool Right!
6. Asian Language and Culture College
The school was established in October 2011 in the most beautiful and natural area of Uruma, Okinawa. This school has the principle of developing your taste and character as an international person should have. The educational goals are set in terms of lifestyle habits, autonomy, and coordination based on Japanese culture.
Asian Language and Culture College Features:
- The school staff does its best to meet the learning needs of each student so that they can be sure to live and master the Japanese language while studying in Japan. They are very gentle and friendly like your family members.
- This school has designed a different scene and puts a lot of effort into teaching students. Also showing them how to pass the JLPT and study in high-class universities in Japan.
- This school is unique in that it offers two programs for international students: one is regular classes, and the other is learning Japanese with locals. It is a lively class where you can learn how Japanese is spoken, especially to learn the Okinawan dialect, as naturally as possible from the locals.
What do you think about this school? Interested? If you want to explore this school in advance, please directly go to the following link!
7. Saelu Gakuin
Saelu Gakuin is very thick with its slogan that really wants to make your dreams come true. They will support you to continue your education in Japan. This school offers a real class for those who cannot speak Japanese at all. Also, for those who have arrived in Japan for the first time.
Saelu Gakuin Features:
- The Saelu Gakuin offers 3 classes, the intensive course (including a long-term course) and the short course.
- This school will support anyone who is very keen on learning the language through the local language culture. What’s more? You may offer the Saelu Gakuin Okinawa Plus course program. This program is for families of students and foreigners living in Okinawa.
- The course introduces the level of Japanese language and skill development mainly focused on useful Japanese daily life.
- You’ll learn the basics of Japanese culture and customs as well as study outside of the school program.
Cool enough, right? What do you think about this school? Interested? If you want to explore this school in advance, please directly go to the following link!
8. Gores Japanese Institute of Culture and Economics
Gores Japanese Institute of Culture and Economics was established in 1988 in Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku in Tokyo, and in time moved to Okinawa.
Gores Japanese Institute of Culture and Economics Features:
- You’ll be taught not only the Japanese language but also business and Japanese culture. You will be able to experience a tea ceremony, flower arrangements, music, Japanese cuisine, etc.
- The student comes from Asia, America, Europe, etc. So, you’ll get to know the multinational culture (not only Japanese) of students from all over the world.
- This school has more than 20 excellent professional Japanese teachers. There are 7 or 8 teachers for one class.
- The institute also provides course preparation for university and vocational school enrollment up to JLPT class.
- This school provides also comprehensive guidance to work in Japan with Japanese smooth and polite business communication.
- The Statistical results of Gores Japanese Institute of Culture and Economics for the enrollment rates in Japanese universities and vocational schools are almost 100% accepted.
That’s it for this article. Let us conclude this article by repeating some of the important points as the following:
- When you learn Japanese in Okinawa, you have the opportunity to experience life on this world-famous island.
- From history, Okinawa has a culture of healthy living and people can even live up to 100 years old. Okinawa also has a unique culture, that is very rich in a variety of seafood that is very cheap and healthy.
- There are 8 language schools in Okinawa which are very famous and have good quality as we described above.
Additionally, please leave your feedback on the information we gathered in the comment section below!
Last but not least, that’s it from me. Then, If you have any questions, feel free to ask them below in the comments! See you in the next article!